FAQs


The key to any successful nonprofit is transparency.  We understand if our current and prospective contributors have questions about our organization and how we work.  We are more than happy to answer any questions you have, and want you to be comfortable with your contribution, no matter what it might be.  If you have a specific question not answered here, please email us at info@onbehalf.org


Please review our Privacy Policy for specifics on how we protect your information.


Here are a few of the more common questions:


1) Is OnBehalf.org a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization?  Can I get a tax deduction for my donation?

For financial contributions, yes.  On Behalf of a Grateful Nation, Inc. was granted its tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status by the IRS on March 7, 2006.  Financial contributions may be tax deductible retroactive to that date.  If you’d like to see more information regarding our organization on GuideStar.org, the world’s largest non-profit directory, to include our IRS Letter of Determination, please click here.  And as always, please consult your tax adviser regarding charitable contributions.


2) You refer to your organization as OnBehalf.org, but you're registered with the IRS as On Behalf of a Grateful Nation, Inc. Is it the same?

Yes, we just prefer the shorter title, but we're the same organization.


3)  Where does my donated money go?

A good question, and one any potential donor should be asking before they make a contribution. Over 90% of your contribution goes to a wounded vet or military family. The other 5-10% is administrative fees by PayPal, Chase Bank and some fundraising activity (banners, signs, tee shirts, etc.). For larger events, we'll make promotional items, but they're usually sold, with the profits benefiting our emergency fund.  None of our staff or volunteers draws a salary, we purchase limited promotional items (usually paid for with personal funds) and our administrative expenses are limited to bank, website and transactional fees. 


4) How do you determine the eligibility for wounded veterans and military families?

In the case of a wounded veteran, we follow the official definition of “disabled,” as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, when determining basic eligibility for a grant or service.  Once this basic eligibility is met, financial grants are based on need, which is ultimately decided by the Board of Directors.  More “practical” personal services from The Thank a Vet Network are also based on need. All financial grants and personal services/activities are determined on a case-by-case basis. 


5) What information do I need to provide to nominate a veteran for a grant or service?  How does this work?

For any grant or service, we need the name of the veteran or family, and a contact person who can verify the injury or loss.  A unit commander who can be reached via a “.mil” email address is acceptable, as is a VA case worker or similar care authority (".gov" email account).  


6)  How do you handle any personal information (either my own or a veteran’s) I might provide to OnBehalf.org, in regards to making a financial contribution, donating a service to The Professional Network, or nominating a veteran?  Is it protected?

In one word, securely.  And yes, it is protected.  The specific information you provide to us–whether you’re donating money, contributing a service, signing up to be a volunteer, or nominating a veteran–is processed on a secure server.   We will NEVER ask for a full social security number, date of birth, bank account information, or other sensitive information. 

Copyright 2015.  ONBEHALF.ORG.  All Rights Reserved.